Tahlequah Daily Press

May 9, 2013

BREAKING NEWS: Explosive device seized, suspect confirmed


staff

TAHLEQUAH — An explosive device has been seized by law enforcement authorities for proper disposal in the wake of a bomb threat issued today.

According to Tahlequah Police Chief Nate King, just before noon today, an officer responded to a report of a suspicious bag left at Amerigas, 5050 S. Muskogee. Officers arrived and thought there was an explosive device in the bag, so they called in reinforcements, cordoned off the area, and evacuated businesses and homes in the immediate vicinity.

Authorities confirmed they did discover an explosive device, and also found other explosive components, a firearm and ammunition. The Oklahoma Highway Patrol bomb squad will dispose of the device. In the meantime, the scene has been cleared, and U.S. 62 is back open.

Officers have a suspect, but there have been no arrests, and they will not release the identity of the suspect at this time.

King said he couldn’t confirm or deny reports that the suspect had been injured. However, other sources to the investigation said the suspect had been treated at a regional hospital for an unidentified injury.