Tahlequah Daily Press

Letters to editor

May 14, 2014

Alexie’s observations spot-on

TAHLEQUAH — Editor, Daily Press:

Recently, Coeur d’Alene/Spokane poet, author, and filmmaker Sherman Alexie spoke at Northeastern State University. He vividly described how modern American Indian nations have devolved into banana republics controlled by dictators who stuff their pockets with the tribe’s cash and give their supporters and cousins undeserved and well-paying jobs and appointments.

Alexie partially blamed an influx of casino money for causing Native society to mirror the rest of America in that there is now a clearly delineated 1 percent who control most of the wealth and power, with the remaining 99 percent hoping for some scraps from the 1 percent table. Cherokee Nation’s 1 percent has continued to tighten its stranglehold not only our current resources, but also our collective futures.

Relaxation of tribal oversight of gaming, weakening of the Freedom of Information and Government Records Acts, and the continued gifting of millions of CN dollars to friends for properties we do not need are all symptomatic of a corrupt and ailing system.

Geary Don Crofford

Tahlequah


 

1
Text Only
Letters to editor
Poll

Do you believe school administrators and college presidents in Oklahoma are paid too much?

Strongly agree.
Somewhat agree.
Somewhat disagree.
Strongly disagree.
Undecided.
     View Results
Tahlequah Daily Press Twitter
Follow us on twitter
AP Video
Crashed Air Algerie Plane Found in Mali Israel Mulls Ceasefire Amid Gaza Offensive In Case of Fire, Oxygen Masks for Pets Mobile App Gives Tour of Battle of Atlanta Sites Anti-violence Advocate Killed, but Not Silenced. Dempsey: Putin May Light Fire and Lose Control Arizona Prison Chief: Execution Wasn't Botched Calif. Police Investigate Peacock Shooting Death Raw: Protesters, Soldiers Clash in West Bank Police: Doctor Who Shot Gunman 'Saved Lives' 'Modern Family' Star on Gay Athletes Coming Out MN Twins Debut Beer Vending Machine DA: Pa. Doctor Fired Back at Hospital Gunman Raw: Iowa Police Dash Cam Shows Wild Chase Obama Seeks Limits on US Company Mergers Abroad Large Family to Share NJ Lottery Winnings U.S. Flights to Israel Resume After Ban Lifted Official: Air Algerie Flight 'probably Crashed' TSA Administrator on Politics and Flight Bans Raw: National Guard Helps Battle WA Wildfires
Stocks