Tahlequah Daily Press

April 4, 2013

Local felon awaiting hearing; no bond set

Staff Writer

TAHLEQUAH — A convicted felon who allegedly tried to escape from investigators in March remains jailed at the Cherokee County Detention Center, awaiting a preliminary hearing.

James Elliott Adkins Jr., 28, is being held with no bond set. Adkins was arrested March 22 after Cherokee County Sheriff’s Investigator James Brown received a tip that Adkins, who is wanted on multiple warrants related to arson and domestic assault and battery, was staying in the 300 block of East Shawnee.

Brown drove through the area and spotted Adkins outside a residence, so he notified Tahlequah police and asked for their assistance. When Adkins spotted Tahlequah officers arriving, he allegedly fled and refused to stop for Brown, who was in the ally behind the residence.

Brown chased Adkins for nearly two blocks before he was able to take Adkins to the ground and handcuff him.

Brown said he then noticed his own shoulder was in extreme pain and wouldn’t work. The investigator was later taken to a local hospital, where he learned his shoulder was factured in several places.

Court records show Adkins was wanted by authorities on failure-to-pay warrants for third-degree arson and several cases of domestic assault and battery.

Assistant District Attorney B.J. Baker filed a motion March 22 to revoke or increase Adkins’ bond, saying Adkins pleaded to three different cases Oct. 18, 2011, but never checked in or complied with probation.

An application to revoke was issued Dec. 23, 2011, and Adkins “actively and intentionally eluded arrest,” Baker said, until he was captured during a Locust Grove warrant sweep on March 22, 2012.

Baker said Adkins disappeared again in April 2012, and failed to appear for a June 2012 court appearance. He wasn’t seen again until he was captured by Brown March 22, 2013. In a 27-month time span, Adkins was eluding authorities 19 of those months, Baker argues.

While he was “on the lam,” Adkins was charged in two other cases, both of which were crimes committed against the victim in Adkins’ original charges.

Adkins is now facing applications to revoke two of the three one-year suspended sentences he previously received.

Court records show Adkins was charged March 6 for an alleged assault against a woman who said Adkins punched her in he right eye with a closed fist.

Adkins allegedly set fire to that same woman’s mattress in May 2009, and on the same day, slapped her in the face, pulled her hair, pushed her halfway over a balcony, body-slammed her, and strangled her until she nearly passed out.

In May 2012, Adkins allegedly knocked a window out of the woman’s truck.