A Hulbert man serving time in state prison for a first-degree rape charge is asking for a judge to modify his sentence so he can participate in a sex-offender treatment program.
Trevor Muchmore, 21, was charged in 2008 for having sex with a 13-year-old girl in Hulbert, while Muchmore was 18 years old. An affidavit filed at the time indicated Muchmore admitted he’d encouraged the victim to have sex with him, and described his relationship with the girl as “Romeo and Juliet.”
Court documents indicate he pleaded guilty and was sentenced to 10 years suspended. Then in August 2009, a judge revoked four years of the suspended sentence after Muchmore failed to follow the rules of his probation.
In a hand-written letter sent to the Cherokee County Court Clerk’s Office last March, Muchmore said the Joseph Harp Correctional Center, where he is serving his time, does not have a sex-offender treatment program. He indicated he has no attorney, and asked for help in notifying Associate District Judge Mark Dobbins of the issue.
“Can you have someone to ask Mr. Dobbins for me and tell him that I’ve been staying out of trouble, I’m willing to do what he says, and I’m making better choices for me to have a good future,” Muchmore wrote. “Oh yeah, and if it’s possible, ask him if I can get the sentence modification soon?”
A motion was filed Tuesday morning for Muchmore claiming the correctional facility cut its treatment programs due to budgetary concerns, and because of that, Muchmore cannot meet the requirements given to him when his suspended sentence was revoked in 2009.
Muchmore asks to be allowed to complete sex-offender treatment outside of the Department of Corrections, while serving the remainder of his suspended sentence under the supervision of the Oklahoma Pardon and Parole Board.
Court documents show Dobbins recused himself last week from Muchmore’s request, saying Muchmore has made “suggestive threats” against him, and that the matter will likely end up with federal charges being filed. If that happens, Dobbins expects he’ll be called as a witness against Muchmore, according to his recusal document.
Dobbins is asking that another judge be assigned to Muchmore’s sentence-modification request.
When Muchmore’s original sentence was revoked in 2009, prosecutors alleged Muchmore failed to register as a sex offender; missed three group sessions of his treatment program; and claimed to be changing addresses, but was found to still be residing at a previous address.
They said he also failed to maintain employment at the time, and ignored several opportunities to apply for work.
Court documents claimed that Muchmore had “demonstrated a very poor attitude during supervision,” and didn’t follow orders or show respect to authorities.
Click here to get the entire Tahlequah Daily Press delivered everyday to your home or office. Code for E-EDITION TRIAL OR SUBSCRIBE Click here to get a free trial or to subscribe to the Tahlequah Daily Press electronic edition.
It's the ENTIRE newspaper (without the paper) for your computer, iPad or e-reader.