Tahlequah Daily Press

January 22, 2014

Battling blazes

By JOSH NEWTON
Staff Writer

TAHLEQUAH — Early morning fires displaced several Cherokee County families Tuesday.

Tahlequah firefighters responded to 900 West Fox just after 4 a.m. when a mobile home caught fire. Crews arrived and found the home fully engulfed in flames. Police helped evacuate neighboring homes as a safety precaution.

Assistant Fire Chief Ted Kupsick said the family living in the home was doing laundry. Family members said they believe the blaze may have started near the clothes dryer.

Everyone in the home escaped the fire without injury, and the Red Cross was called in to assist.

Firefighters were on scene for several hours.

Families in the Eldon area were also hit hard Tuesday morning.

Nick Smith, assistant fire chief for the Welling Volunteer Fire Department, said firefighters were called out just before 3 a.m.

Smith said it appears a trash fire got out of hand. Strong winds carried the flames to two mobile homes, which then caught fire.

Welling firefighters received assistance from other departments and were on scene until just before 8 a.m.  No injuries were reported, and the Red Cross was called in to assist families affected by the fire.

jnewton@tahlequahdailypress.com