TAHLEQUAH — Ballots were still being counted throughout the wee hours of Sunday morning, but as of 1:30 a.m.,
unofficial results for the Cherokee Nation election show District 2 incumbent Joe Byrd defeated Tamsye Dreadfulwater, garnering over 68 percent of the votes. Byrd earned 405 votes, compared to Dreadfulwater’s 189.
Other race results are listed by district:
• District 4 appears to be headed for a runoff between incumbent Don Garvin and challenger Mike Dobbins. Garvin earned 43.74 percent of the district’s votes, compared to Dobbins’ 34.9. Justin Carlton garnered 21.35 percent of vote.
• In District 5 I incumbent David Thornton Sr.defeated , Dink Scott and Sherri Doolin.
• District 7 incumbent Frankie Hargis defeated Joe Adair.
• District 9 incumbent Curtis Snell defeated Lonus Mitchell.
• In District 10, Harley Buzzard defeated Nettie Detherage.
• District 15 challenger Janees Taylor defeated incumbent Meredith Frailey, and challenger Marilyn Cooper.
• At-large incumbent Jack Baker defeated challengers Robin Mayes, Ken Luttrell, Carole Richmond, Curtis West and Curtis Bruehl
Requests for recounts will be accepted between Monday, June 24 and Wednesday, June 26. Should a recount be required, it will take place on Thursday and Friday, June 27-28.
Monday, July 1, is the deadline for run-off absentee ballot requests, as well as the election appeals deadline. Runoff absentee ballots will be mailed July 8-9; in-person absentee runoff voting will take place July 20, and 23-25. The runoff election will be Saturday, July 27.
- See more at: http://tahlequahdailypress.com/local/x493354389/CN-Tribal-Council-election-this-Saturday#sthash.hvg2BZfd.dpuf