TAHLEQUAH — email@example.com
HULBERT – With school beginning Aug. 21, the Hulbert Public School Board approved the hiring of six teachers and staff during its regular meeting Monday.
The board entered executive session to discuss the staffing issues.
After returning to open session, members voted to hire:
• Leigh Anne Lovett and Daniel Landaverde as secondary math teachers.
• Jim Bynum as a secondary science teacher.
• Melissa Brown as a secondary English teacher.
• Ashton Bruce as an elementary teaching assistant.
• Stacey Whitney as a cafeteria server and custodian.
The board also rescinded Bree Disheroon as high school head cheerleading coach.
Before entering executive session, the board accepted the resignation of secondary English teacher Pamela Sumner.
During the meeting, the board unanimously approved:
• A Form 307 request for additional state and federal funds.
• The granting of math and science credit for courses taught at Indian Capital Technology Center.
• Student transfers.
• A contract with Drugs of Abuse Testing Laboratory Inc. for drug testing during the 2013-’14 academic year.
The board also heard the report of Superintendent Marilyn Dewoody, which included presentation of a concept for a new piece of playground equipment and the announcement that Johnson-O’Malley Act supplies would be available to eligible students on Aug. 19.
Board member JuaNita Keener was not present.
The board’s next regular meeting is Monday, Sept. 9 at 5:30 p.m. at the school.