Tahlequah Daily Press

November 20, 2012

Suspect caught after trying to escape

Staff Writer

TAHLEQUAH — A man wanted for three outstanding warrants in Cherokee County reportedly tried to escape arrest Saturday after being involved in an assault, but was eventually found and booked into jail.

Jacob Walter Christie, 36, of Welling, was found and booked on anticipated charges of domestic assault and battery, interfering with a 911 call, and public intoxication.

Deputies were initially sent to South Rocky Top Lane to take an assault report. The victim of the attack was allegedly struck on the head by Christie, who then took her phone and disabled it while she was trying to call 911 for help. Christie left and went into a nearby wooded area before police arrived.

Deputies searched but were unable to find Christie. They were later called back when Christie returned and asked the victim to use her phone so he could call for a ride. He then allegedly struck her again and left when she refused to help him.

Deputies searched the woods and were later called to a convenience store, where a person matching Christie’s description had been spotted. But deputies said Christie was not there when they arrived.

About 45 minutes later, while investigating a drunken driver at the same store, deputies said they spotted Christie and confronted him. Christie allegedly gave them a fake last name, but later told them “you got me” and admitted his last name was Christie.

He allegedly told deputies they were “persistent sons of b--ches” because they had continued their search for him.

“I thought I had you guys,” he reportedly told them.

Christie told deputies he was hiding nearby when they were searching for him earlier in the night, and thought he had been caught when an officer’s light flashed on him at one point in their search.

Court records show Christie was charged in May 2012 with domestic abuse-assault and battery. After he failed to appear in court, a no-bond warrant was issued for his arrest. He pleaded not guilty to the charge Monday and was ordered back to court Dec. 17.

He was also charged with public intoxication last March and reached a plea agreement, but a warrant was issued after he failed to pay fines. His third outstanding warrant was based on a December 2011 charge of domestic abuse-assault and battery, where Christie bonded out but later failed to appear in court. He pleaded not guilty Monday to that charge and was ordered back to court in December.