Tahlequah Daily Press

February 8, 2013

Woman behind bars again for meth

Staff Writer

TAHLEQUAH — A Cherokee County woman was behind bars Thursday, just days after her arrest on charges she manufactured methamphetamine while caring for her 2-year-old granddaughter, who suffered severe chemicals burns last week.

Brenda Vann, 55, was arrested by Tahlequah police Thursday afternoon following a traffic stop. Tahlequah Police Patrolman Reed Felts said Vann was a passenger in a broken-down vehicle near Muskogee Avenue and Fourth Street.

Patrolman Anthony Dotson pulled up to the vehicle and identified the three women who were inside, including Vann and her daughter. Vann was wanted out of the city on an outstanding warrant and was taken into custody, Felts said.

A patdown of Vann revealed she had methamphetamine, marijuana, and drug paraphernalia in her possession, according to Felts. She was jailed on the warrant, along with new charges of possession of a controlled dangerous substance with intent, possession of marijuana, and possession of paraphernalia.

Vann is also facing potential charges of endeavoring to manufacture meth and child endangerment related to her arrest one week ago.

Drug Task Force investigators said Vann’s 2-year-old granddaughter suffered severe chemical burns to a large portion of her body.

Vann and the toddler’s mother took the child to a hospital last Friday and told investigators they didn’t know how the girl was injured.

Doctors told investigators the burns were likely caused by some type of chemical, and could have been up to 48 hours old before she was taken to the hospital.

Vann also allegedly admitted to authorities she is a meth addict, and has been for about 30 years.

DTF agents received a warrant last Friday and searched Vann’s home and a vehicle.

Investigators said they located a methamphetamine lab, along with a lengthy list of paraphernalia items, inside the vehicle.

Before those items were found, Vann allegedly told authorities she left the hospital to move those items from her house into the vehicle, as she was afraid officials from the Department of Human Services would see the items inside the home.

Vann was free on a $75,000 bond prior to her Thursday arrest. Formal charges have not been filed in either of her arrests, and investigators have said other charges and arrests are possible in the initial incident.

Her granddaughter was taken into custody by Indian Child Welfare officials, according to DTF agents.