Tahlequah Daily Press

February 20, 2014

Online exclusive: The history of FFA


staff

TAHLEQUAH — The National FFA Organization was founded in 1928 as Future Farmers of America. FFA teaches career and technical skills to students at secondary schools that offer agricultural education. It is one of the largest youth organizations in the U.S., with more than 500,000 members. Some highlights of FFA history since its founding include:

1930 - The FFA Creed is adopted

1933 - The blue corduroy jacket is established as official dress

1935 - FFA membership exceeds 100,000

1944 - The FFA Foundation is established

1948 - Membership surpasses 250,000

1950 - The FFA is granted a federal charter requiring the Department of Education to name a national FFA adviser

1952 - The National Future Farmer magazine begins publication

1959 - The National FFA Center is established in Alexandria, Va.

1969 - Membership is opened to girls

1972 - National FFA Alumni Association chartered

1975 - Food For American program begins

1980 - National FFA Foundation has its first $1 million fundraising year

1988 - Future Farmers of America changes its name to the National FFA Organization

1989 - The FFA magazine changes its name to FFA New Horizons

1990 - Patners in Active Learning Support, a program for FFA members to mentor elementary and middle school students, is begun

1996 - The official FFA website, www.ffa.org, goes online

1998 - National FFA Center is moved to Indianapolis

2005 - National FFA Seeds of Hope fundraiser gathers $835,699 to rebuild gulf FFa programs after Hurricane Katrina

2007 - Membership exceeds 500,000