The Cherokee Nation Seed Bank is offering tribal citizens portions of its inventory for those interested in growing traditional Cherokee crops.
Seeds available include two types of corn, three types of beans, one variety of squash, three varieties of gourds, as well as Trail of Tears beans, also known as Job’s Tears, and native tobacco.
Citizens may request two varieties of seeds - one variety of corn and gourds and one or two alternates, due to limited supplies and hybridization issues. Not every request may be granted.
To obtain seeds:
• Email requests to email@example.com.
• Include a copy or scan of your Cherokee Nation citizenship card with the request.
• Include proof of age with all requests for tobacco, as recipients must be 18 or older.
• Make sure you properly denote the address to which the seeds are to be mailed.
• Submit questions to firstname.lastname@example.org, or call (918) 453-5336.