Airing a 30-second TV ad during Super Bowl XLVIII costs $4 million - and all the spots sold out long ago.
The price tag is due to viewership of the game, which in recent years has easily surpassed 100 million in the U.S.
The game is an opportunity for advertisers to insert some cleverness into their messages or kick off new campaigns. Many people give equally attention to the ad spots and the game.
Included in this year’s Super Bowl advertising:
* More health food spots from Dannon and Chobani yogurt, and Stephen Colbert will pitch pistachios.
* Expect the blitz of automobile commercials, but this year Jaguar will air its first Super Bowl ad.
* Nestle will introduce its Butterfinger Peanut Butter Cups, and Intuit will air a spot for the winner of its small business contest. Both are first-time Super Bowl advertisers.
* Super Bowl ads frequently feature celebrities - i.e., Colbert - but there is a lot of buzz about a Kia ad featuring Laurence Fishburne.
* Another first-time Super Bowl advertiser is Cheerios.