Maverick Conference Tournament - Wrestlers to watch
- Seth Fritts (Keys): As a freshman, Fritts qualified for the Class 3A state tournament, where he didn’t place at 138 pounds. This year, at 160 pounds, Fritts has won two tournament titles at Inola and Pawhuska. Fritts also came in fourth at the Tuttle tournament.
- Bryson McGowan (Hulbert): A third-place finisher last year at the 3A state tournament, McGowan has bumped up a weight class to 220 this year. So far so good with two tournament crowns at Inola and Pawhuska.
- Derick Shrum / Jesse Hodge (Jay): Both Hodge (113) and Shrum (132) have first-place finishes at the Inola tournament and the Paul Post Classic in Sallisaw. Shrum was a third-place finisher at the state tournament last year.
- Donald Cannon (McAlester): A 5A state champion at 120 pounds last season, Cannon is up to 126 this season. So far this year he’s finished second at the Mid-America Nationals and first at the McAlester tournament.
- Cale Wilson (Sallisaw): At 182 pounds, Wilson has picked up where he left off last year, which ended with a state championship in 4A. In three tournaments this season, Wilson’s only non-first place finish was at Cushing.
- Jadon Davenport (Sallisaw): A two-time state champion, Davenport has been dominant this season. Davenport has individual titles at Bristow, Tuttle, Cushing and Paul Post this season. Davenport will also get a chance to win a Maverick Conference title after missing last year’s tournament because of an illness.
- Mickey Brown (Stilwell): As a sophomore, Brown has emerged onto the scene as a legitimate state title contender at heavyweight. Brown has cruised to individual titles at Inola, Tuttle and the Paul Post this season.