Players of the week
- Levi Carson (Hulbert): Carson ran for 169 yards and a touchdown on 16 carries in Hulbert’s loss to Warner.
- Caisen Green (Sequoyah): Green hauled in six catches for 83 yards and a touchdown against Beggs on Friday.
- Nick Kingfisher (Sequoyah): Kingfisher had three catches for 70 yards and a touchdown on offense, while also intercepting a pass and returning it 75 yards for a touchdown on defense against Beggs.
Around the state
(A glance around the state in Week 1)
- Booker T. Washington 47, McAlester 45: The Hornets outscored McAlester 30-7 in the second half to rally for a victory over the second-ranked team in Class 5A. Booker T. Washington quarterback Cordale Grundy scored the go-ahead touchdown on a 12-yard run with 3:44 left in the game.
- Broken Arrow 24, Bentonville (Ark.) 17: The Tigers scored the final 14 points of the game to upend their opponents from the Natural State. Hunter Copelin caught a 27-yard touchdown pass to break a 17-17 deadlock with 2:06 left. Of note in the game was Broken Arrow running back Devon Thomas leaving with an undisclosed injury.
- Jenks 20, Union 16: The Trojans’ Dylan Harding — an Oklahoma State commit — caught a 76-yard touchdown with 25 seconds left to lift Jenks to a Backyard Bowl victory. Harding finished with two catches for 113 yards, while Jenks’ Steven Parker snagged four passes for 89 yards. Union led 13-7 at halftime, and the Redskins led 16-13 until Harding’s game-winning play inside the final minute of the game.
- Wagoner 35, Pryor 13: Wagoner running back Lawrence Evitt ran circles around Pryor’s defense, racking up 284 yards and three touchdowns on the ground. After a scoreless first quarter, Wagoner scored 28 of the first 34 points.
- Fort Gibson 17, Hilldale 10: Michael Richey’s 1-yard run with 16 seconds left propelled Fort Gibson to a victory in the rivalry game, which awards ‘The Rock’ to the victor. Yards were hard to come by in the defensive struggle, with both teams combining for only 466 yards of total offense.
- Norman North 41, Del City 38: David Cornwell had 278 yards passing with three touchdowns to guide Norman North to the victory. Terry Wilson rushed for 266 yards for Del City, who fell just short of moving to 2-0 after beating East Central in Week 1.
- Owasso 36, Muskogee 7: The Roughers couldn’t accomplish anything on offense and didn’t cross midfield until late in the contest. Muskogee rushed the ball for only 54 yards.
- Claremore 42, Miami 19: Derrick Reliford and Dhalton Horsman combined for 228 rushing yards as the Zebras moved to 2-0.
- Bishop Kelley 25, Bishop McGuinness 22: Both teams combined for 34 second-half points, as Bishop Kelley prevailed in the Catholic school battle. The Comets, who forced five Bishop McGuinness five turnovers, went ahead for good on Ryan Martin’s 24-yard run with 9:15 left.