They said it
“It’s Week 1 of district play and you just never know. Grove, they’ve got a good football team and they do a good job of being prepared and they’ve got some good football players. I would have never anticipated it being this lopsided. -- Tahlequah head coach Brad Gilbert following the Tigers’ 47-20 win over Grove. (Quote courtesy of Grove Sun).
Games of the week
- Claremore at Tahlequah: The winner of the game would be sitting in good position in District 5A-4. It’ll be the first of four district home games for the Tigers.
- Keys at Sequoyah: The Cherokee County rivalry game was over quickly in 2012. The Indians capitalized on six Keys turnovers and coasted to a 52-9 win. Now the rivalry heads to Thompson Field.
- Bixby at Broken Arrow: The Tigers rebounded from a loss to Union by blowing out Muskogee. Bixby, after a 3-0 start to the season, fell to Westmoore in its 6A-2 opener. The Spartans need to win to be within reach of a postseason spot.
- Fort Gibson at Broken Bow: The Tigers face a tough test a long way away from home. Fort Gibson try to move to 2-0 in 4A-4 while playing more than 175 miles away from home in the southeast corner of the state.
- Sallisaw at Cascia Hall: The Commandos were less than impressive at Stilwell in Week 4, but a return home could spark them to a 2-0 start in 4A-4. Sallisaw will look to bounce back after home loss to Poteau.
- Seminole at Claremore-Sequoyah: The Chieftains are averaging more than 50 points a game, and they’ll play a nondistrict game outside of 3A-2 against a Eagle club that is allowing less than 14 points a contest.
- Kansas at Commerce: Both teams can score in bunches, and the winner will have the inside track to winning the 2A-8 crown.