By BEN JOHNSON
District 5A-4 Dist. Ovr
W-L W-L PF PA
Claremore (29) 3-0 5-1 203 172
Pryor (15) 3-0 4-2 155 150
Collinsville (11) 2-1 4-2 178 145
East Central (-6) 2-1 2-4 141 236
Coweta (7) 1-2 2-4 163 201
Tahlequah (-10) 1-2 1-5 147 210
Central (-17) 0-3 1-5 92 180
Grove (-29) 0-3 1-5 134 179
District 3A-7 Dist. Over
W-L W-L PF PA
Locust Grove (34) 3-0 6-0 257 79
Hilldale (30) 2-0 5-1 249 109
Sequoyah (26) 2-1 3-3 211 166
Lincoln Chr. (0) 1-1 3-3 204 189
Keys (-8) 1-1 1-5 70 240
Westville (-37) 0-3 0-6 60 281
Jay (-45) 0-3 2-4 85 140
District 2A-8 Dist. Over
W-L W-L PF PA
Commerce (45) 3-0 6-0 244 59
Salina (34) 3-0 5-1 172 68
Colcord (26) 2-1 4-2 196 53
Kansas (15) 2-1 4-2 237 166
Wyandotte (-15) 1-2 3-3 191 143
Quapaw (-28) 1-2 1-5 74 248
Ketchum (-32) 0-3 2-4 145 204
Hulbert (-45) 0-3 0-6 37 243
* District points in parentheses
Coweta 32, Tahlequah 13
Claremore 37, East Central 22
Collinsville 20, Central 12
Pryor 35, Grove 28
Central at Tahlequah
Claremore at Pryor
Coweta at Collinsville
Grove at East Central
Sequoyah 41, Westville 6
Vian 55, Keys 13
Hilldale 37, Lincoln Christian 14
Locust Grove 40, Jay 3
Lincoln Christian at Keys
Sperry at Sequoyah
Hilldale at Locust Grove
Jay at Westville
Commerce 50, Hulbert 0
Colcord 43, Quapaw 0
Kansas 60, Ketchum 27
Salina 28, Wyandotte 7
Hulbert at Salina
Ketchum at Commerce
Colcord at Kansas
Wyandotte at Quapaw
Week 6 area recaps
- Coweta 32, Tahlequah 13: Coweta's initial 19-0 lead was cut to 19-13 at halftime after two Tahlequah scores (runs by David Dick and Brandon Conrad). Tahlequah, though, was blanked in the second half, and Coweta tacked on two scoring runs. Coweta finished the game with 429 rushing yards and nearly 500 yards of total offense.
- Sequoyah 41, Westville 6: The Indians piled up 577 yards of total offense against the overmatched Yellowjackets. Sequoyah scored the first six touchdowns of the game before allowing a garbage-time score with 91 seconds left in the contest.
- Vian 55, Keys 13: Eric Casey led Vian with 207 rushing yards and three touchdowns as the Wolverines continued their one-sided domination between the two rivals. Vian quarterback Riley Simon also ran for 147 yards, including a 66-yard touchdown run.
- Commerce 50, Hulbert 0: The Riders were limited to 83 yards of total offense in the loss. Commerce unloaded quickly in the first quarter, and the game was played with a continuous clock starting in the second period.
Players of the week
- Justin Hooper (Sequoyah) - On 37 carries, Hooper racked up 261 yards and a touchdown in the Indians' throttling of Westville.
- Zach Parish (Sequoyah) - The Indians' quarterback completed nine of 17 passes for 259 yards and four touchdowns against Westville.
- Caisen Green (Sequoyah) - Sequoyah's pass catcher was the recipient of three Parish passes for 133 yards and three touchdowns. He averaged 44.3 yards per reception.
- Chase Girdner (Keys) - In the Cougars' loss to Vian, Girdner had six catches for 169 yards and two touchdowns.
Around the state
(A glance around the state in Week 6)
- Muskogee 39, Edison 8: The Roughers scored 27 unanswered points in the first half and rolled to their first win of the year. Muskogee quarterback Quintahj Cherry passed for 196 yards and two touchdowns.
- Jenks 28, Broken Arrow 7: Broken Arrow tied the game at 7 early in the third quarter, but Jenks’ Steven Parker hauled in a 53-yard touchdown pass shortly thereafter to break the deadlock. The win moved Jenks to 6-0 overall and 3-0 in District 6A-2.
- Claremore 37, East Central 22: Derrick Reliford piled up 183 rushing yards and three touchdowns for the Zebras. Dustin Basks also added an 18-yard touchdown run and two fourth quarter interceptions to preserve the victory for Claremore.
- Collinsville 20, Central 12: The Cardinals scored the final 20 points of the game to come from behind and win. Collinsville had a pair of 100-yard rushers in Marcus Redwine (151 yards on 20 carries) and Brandon Lowe, who finished with 131 yards and two touchdowns, including a 34-yard scamper to give the Cardinals the lead for good in the second half.
- Pryor 35, Grove 28: The Tigers rallied from a 28-14 deficit to win the 5A-4 matchup. Pryor scored the go-ahead touchdown on Brennon Barth’s 10-yard run with 10 seconds left. Barth rushed for four scores in the game.
- Poteau 42, Fort Gibson 28: The Pirates prevailed in the matchup of top-10 teams in District 4A-4 largely because of Roger Barcheers’ 177-yard rushing effort. The Pirates ran for 241 yards and held the lead the rest of the way after Barcheers’ 8-yard touchdown with nine seconds left in the first quarter.
They said it
“Hey, we’re 1-2 in district play and we still have three home games left. We’ve got one on the road and four district games remaining. We believe if we win four of them, we’ll get in the playoffs. The goal is still there.” -- Tahlequah head coach Brad Gilbert
Games of the week
- Claremore at Pryor: A battle of the final two unbeaten teams in District 5A-4. The winner will likely have the inside track to the district crown.
- Shawnee at Bishop Kelley: A win could vault Shawnee back into title contention in District 5A-3. A loss by the Wolves means it’ll likely come down to Bishop Kelley and McAlester in the district race.
- Oologah at Wagoner: If Wagoner wins, it will likely coast to the district crown in 4A-3.
- Muldrow at Fort Gibson: Four teams in 4A-4 are 2-1, and this is a matchup that features two of those teams. A loss could be crippling for playoff hopes.
- Cascia Hall at Poteau: The Pirates are the lone unbeaten team in 4A-4, but if Cascia Hall wins it could create a massive logjam atop the district.
- Hilldale at Locust Grove: District 3A-7 bragging rights are up for grabs, and the winner will likely coast to the league title.