(All games on Friday night at 7:30)
Tahlequah at Rogers (Ark.)
Where: Gates Stadium (1303 Mountie Blvd., Rogers, Ark.).
Radio: Game will air live locally on KEOK, FM-102.1.
Nicknames: Tahlequah Tigers; Rogers Mounties.
Coaches: Tahlequah (Brad Gilbert, 1-7, second season); Rogers (Shawn Flannigan, third season).
Records: Tahlequah 0-1; Rogers 1-0.
Rankings: Tahlequah is not ranked in Class 5A in Oklahoma.
Series record: Rogers leads 2-0.
Last meeting: In 1997, Rogers 30, Tahlequah 19.
Last week: Tahlequah lost to Fort Gibson, 40-20; Rogers beat Mountain Home (Ark), 37-13.
News to know: Tahlequah, after allowing 34.1 points per game in 2011, gave up 40 points to Fort Gibson in Week 1. ... This is Tahlequah’s first game against a Arkansas opponent since the Tigers played Rogers in ‘97. ... Rogers went 2-8 in 2011. ... Rogers had 333 yards of total offense — all of it on the ground — against Mountain Home.
Players to watch
Tahlequah: Mason McMillan (RB), Tyler Eisensmith (WR/DB).
- McMillan proved he’s ready to be Tahlequah’s workhorse in the running game, carrying the ball 33 times for 194 yards and a touchdown against Fort Gibson.
- Eisensmith became the favorite target of quarterback David Dick, found Eisensmith four times for 41 yards against Fort Gibson. Eisensmith also carried the ball a couple of times on offense and had an impact at defensive back against Fort Gibson.
Rogers: Preston Young (FB), Nick Wary (QB).
- Young paced Rogers’ run-heavy offense with 106 yards last week.
- Wary rushed the ball eight times for 80 yards against Mountain Home, including a 59-yard rushing TD.
Looking ahead: Tahlequah will return to Oklahoma competition with its home opener against Sallisaw on Sept. 14.
Sequoyah at Beggs
Where: Golden Demon Stadium (at Beggs High School, just off Western Drive).
Radio: Game will air live on KTLQ, AM-1350.
Nicknames: Sequoyah Indians; Beggs Demons.
Coaches: Sequoyah (Brent Scott, 70-22, ninth season); Beggs (Bob Craig, 64-32, ninth season).
Records: Sequoyah 1-0; Beggs 0-1.
Rankings: Sequoyah is No. 5 in Class 3A in the Associated Press’ prep poll; Beggs is not ranked in 3A.
Series record: Sequoyah leads 2-0.
Last meeting: In 2011, Sequoyah 45, Beggs 23.
Last week: Sequoyah 40, Okemah 20; Bristow 31, Beggs 0.
News to know: Both Sequoyah and Beggs had their 2011 seasons ended by the same team in the playoffs. Sequoyah lost to Berryhill in the first round, and Beggs lost to the Chiefs in the second round. ... Sequoyah averaged 7.6 yards per carry against Beggs last season.
Players to watch
Sequoyah: Kyle Helsley (RB), Niko Hammer (WR/DB).
- Helsley racked up 136 yards and two touchdowns on five carries for the Indians last week. He led a Sequoyah rushing attack that had 239 yards on 34 rushes.
- Hammer had an impact on both sides of the ball against Okemah, catching five passes for 53 yards and a touchdown while totaling four tackles, a tackle for loss and an interception on defense.
Looking ahead: Sequoyah will host Victory Christian at Thompson Field on Sept. 14, while Beggs will play at Hilldale on the same night.