By BEN JOHNSON
Tahlequah at Sallisaw
Where: Perry F. Lattimore Stadium.
Radio: Game will air live on KEOK, FM-102.1.
Nicknames: Tahlequah Tigers; Sallisaw Black Diamonds
Coaches: Tahlequah - Brad Gilbert (second season, 1-11); Sallisaw - Craig Benson (sixth season, 45-17)
Records: Tahlequah 0-2; Sallisaw 1-1.
Rankings: Tahlequah is not ranked in Class 5A; Sallisaw is 15th in the Associated Press’ prep poll in Class 4A.
Series record: Tahlequah leads 33-24-3.
Last meeting: Sallisaw beat Tahlequah 38-20 at Doc Wadley Stadium last year. The Black Diamonds outscored Tahlequah 28-0 in the second half to come from behind and win easily.
Last week: Rogers (Ark.) 41, Tahlequah 6; Sallisaw 28, Claremore-Sequoyah 7.
News to know: Sallisaw has won the four matchups between the two schools by an average of 23 points. ... Tahlequah has not beaten the Black Diamonds in Sallisaw since 1993. ... Sallisaw’s running back tandem, Cale Wilson and Jadon Davenport, are both state champion wrestlers.
Players to watch
— Tahlequah: Brandon Conrad (RB), Kourt McMillan (WR).
• Much like the rest of Tahlequah’s offense, Conrad was held in check against Rogers (Ark.) last week. Conrad rushed for only 21 yards while catching two passes for 30 yards. If the Tigers are to win, Conrad will have to have an impact in the ground game.
• After his burst onto the scene in Week 1 with seven catches for more than 230 yards, McMillan only had one catch for eight yards and a touchdown against Rogers. To create balance on offense, McMillan have to get involved when Tahlequah goes to the air.
— Sallisaw: Cale Wilson (RB/LB).
• Wilson ran over Claremore-Sequoyah last week for 189 yards and two touchdowns on the ground. If Wilson and Jadon Davenport are able to run the ball efficiently, it could allow Sallisaw to open things up in the passing game.
Looking ahead: Tahlequah continues on the road in its District 5A-4 opener at Grove. Sallisaw will play at home again against Poteau.
Sequoyah at Victory Christian
Where: Victory Stadium.
Radio: Game will air live on KTLQ, AM-1350.
Nicknames: Sequoyah Indians; Victory Christian Conquerors.
Coaches: Sequoyah - Shane Richardson (first season, 1-1); Victory Christian - (Brent Marley, seventh season, 30-34).
Records: Sequoyah 1-1; Victory Christian 2-0.
Rankings: Sequoyah is not ranked in Class 3A; Victory Christian is No. 9 in 3A in the AP prep poll.
Series record: Sequoyah leads 4-3.
Last meeting: Victory Christian scored 35 points in the fourth quarter to pull off a furious comeback and upset Sequoyah, 35-34. Victory Christian quarterback Keats Calhoon hit Jonathan Jones for a 54-yard touchdown pass with 15 seconds left to put the Conquerors in front.
Last week: Beggs 47, Sequoyah 33; Victory Christian 66, Regent Prep 13.
News to know: Sequoyah has beaten Victory Christian in four of the last five matchups between the two clubs. ... The 47 points scored by Beggs was the most Sequoyah had given up since allowing 55 in a loss to Kansas in 2004.
Players to watch
— Sequoyah: Nick Kingfisher (WR/DB), Caisen Green (WR).
• Kingfisher has made an impact on both sides of the ball this season. He has caught six passes for 131 yards and two touchdowns, while also recording two interceptions, including one for a 75-yard touchdown in the loss to Beggs last week.
• Green is the Indians’ leading receiver with 10 catches for 170 yards and three touchdowns this season.
— Victory Christian: Calhoon (QB).
• The Conquerors’ quarterback can light it up through the air. He passed for 433 yards last season against Sequoyah, and through two games this season he has 511 yards and three touchdowns on 32 of 36 attempts.
Looking ahead: Sequoyah will return home to begin District 3A-7 play against Locust Grove, while Victory Christian will travel to Henryetta for a 3A-6 contest.
Keys at Eufaula
Where: Paul Bell Stadium.
Radio: Game will be tape-delayed on KEOK, FM-102.1.
Nicknames: Keys Cougars; Eufaula Ironheads
Coaches: Keys - Gary Willis (12th season, 76-48); Eufaula - (Larry Newton).
Records: Keys 0-2; Eufaula 1-1.
Rankings: Neither team is ranked in Class 3A.
Series record: Keys leads 4-1.
Last meeting: Keys beat Eufaula 16-13 last year.
Last week: Checotah 44, Keys 0; Vian 27, Eufaula 7.
News to know: Seven points is the fewest amount of points Keys has ever scored through two games to open a season. ... The Cougars are 0-2 for the first time since 2008, a season in which Keys went 4-7 with a playoff appearance. ... Keys has beaten Eufaula in the last four meetings.
Looking ahead: Keys will begin 3A-7 play at Westville, and Eufaula will host Idabel in a 3A-8 opener.
Hulbert at Kiefer
Where: Kiefer High School.
Nicknames: Hulbert Riders; Kiefer Trojans.
Coaches: Hulbert - Gary Riley (first season, 0-2); Kiefer - Josh Calvert (sixth season, 48-13).
Records: Hulbert 0-2; Kiefer 2-0.
Rankings: Hulbert is not ranked in 2A; Kiefer is No. 3 in Class A.
Series record: Kiefer leads 5-0.
Last meeting: In 2012, Kiefer shut out Hulbert 29-0.
Last week: Warner 20, Hulbert 19: Kiefer 50, Liberty 6.
News to know: Hulbert has scored a point on Kiefer in the last two matchups.
Players to watch
— Hulbert: Levi Carson (RB).
• Carson led the Riders with more than 150 yards rushing in last week’s loss to Warner.
— Kiefer: Trey Sneed (RB).
• Sneed has amassed 306 yards and three touchdowns on 46 carries so far this season.
Looking ahead: Hulbert begins 2A-8 play at Colcord, while Kiefer takes on Porter.