Rob Robinson's first signing class as Northeastern State's head coach isn't expected to be large in quantity. But the NSU coaching staff anticipates it to be heavy in quality.
After all, it's National Signing Day — when every signee is a perceived All-American down the road.
"It's not going to be big in numbers," NSU co-defensive coordinator Steve Patterson said of NSU's signing class this year. "But we're going to get some of the top guys on our board."
As of late Tuesday night, NSU was slated to sign roughly 10 players on Wednesday.
As of noon, NSU has received nine letters of intent. Here who has signed so far with some notes on each:
- Quincy Dotson (Millwood, defensive end): A 6-foot-3, 205-pound defensive end for the Falcons in high school, Dotson logged 57 tackles, four sacks, three forced fumbles and three fumbles recovered during his senior season. On offense as a tight end, Dotson collected 10 catches for 163 yards and three touchdowns in 2013. Dotson and the Falcons lost in the Class 2A state championship game in December, despite leading Davis by 19 points at halftime.
- Josh Farley (Norman, offensive line): At 6 feet, 2 inches tall while weighing in a 280 pounds, Farley anchored Norman's offensive line during the 2013 season. With Farley leading the way, the Tigers posted a 5-5 record and averaged 30.6 points per game.
- Tazden Jevons (Dibble, running back/linebacker): The Dibble Demons missed out on the Class 2A playoffs in 2013, but it was no fault of Jevons. The 6-foot-, 205-pound running back and linebacker racked up impressive numbers throughout his career in 2A football. He finished with 3,521 yards and 52 touchdowns on the ground. He logged seven kickoff returns for touchdowns, too. On defense, he had 323 tackles, six sacks and six interceptions (three that went for touchdowns). During his senior year, Jevons battled a broken hand, which hampered his production at times.
- Brandon Jones (Midwest City, defensive line): Needing a boost on the defensive line, Brandon Jones at 5 feet, 11 inches and 290 pounds will provide just that for the RiverHawks. As a Bomber at Midwest City High School, Jones had 77 tackles and 10 sacks during his senior season, which ended with a loss to Jenks in the Class 6A quarterfinals in 2013.
- Cole Ridgway (Norman, offensive line): The Norman Tigers added its second player to NSU's signing list with the 6-foot-2, 290-pound offensive lineman. Ridgway was named to the All-District team in 6A-4 in 2013.
- Payton Rawlins (Seneca, Mo., quarterback): With Rawlins, a 6-1, 200-pound signal caller leading the way, Seneca (Mo.) made it to the Class 3 championship game in 2013. In the title game loss to Maryville, Rawlins threw for 309 yards and a touchdown while completing 18 of his 30 passes. Rawlins finished his senior year by completing 62.4 percent (174 of 279) of his passes for 2,865 yards and 24 touchdowns. Rawlins also added 402 yards and 10 touchdowns on 98 rushes.
- Jacob Drysdale (Arnold, Mo., tight end): A member of the All-State second team in 2013, Drysdale provides a big body — 6-3, 220 pounds — for the RiverHawks at tight end. Drysdale, a three-sport standout at Fox High School, was also an All-District First Team member in 2013.
- Kevin Bell (Lawton, defensive back): With the 6-foot, 175-pound Bell in the defensive backfield in 2013, the Lawton Wolverines reached the 6A quarterfinals before falling to Westmoore. As a senior, Bell posted 47 tackles and four interceptions, which garnered him All-District accolades in 6A-4 at Lawton High School.
- Ryan Woolman (Locust Grove, defensive line): In 13 games in 2013, Woolman, a 6-2, 265-pound defensive lineman, logged 138 tackles and nine sacks while sparking a Locust Grove defense that propelled the Pirates to the Class 3A quarterfinals, where they lost to Plainview.
Oklahoma players signing in the MIAA
- Justin Marcha (Edmond Memorial, K)
- Diesen Gorham (Perkins-Tryon, OL)
- Orlando Sheets (Del City, DB)
- Trenton Ball (Carl Albert, TE)
- Justin Brown (El Reno, WR)
- Kai Collins (Guthrie, RB)
- Joe Neece (Cashion, WR)
- Stephen Hocker (Enid, OL)
- Landon Nault (Kingfisher, RB)
- Drew Cook (Casady, DB)
- Conner Dickey (Grove, LB)
- Coleby Evans (Union, LB)
- Slade Nordic (Bartlesville, WR)
- Luke Thompson (Jenks, LB)
- Stevie Thompson (Carl Albert, QB)
- Brett Tye (Jenks, WR)
Continue to check back throughout the day for more details on Northeastern State's signing class.
Northeastern State 2014 signing class blog thread
- TDP Sports Blog
- Recent snow alters spring sports schedule
- Sequoyah-Verdigris: What to watch for in area championships
Men's and women's tournament schedule and scoreboard
- Prep basketball: Schedule and scoreboards
- Tiger posts 3rd-place finish for Sequoyah
- Harding driven by one loss this season
- 5 local wrestlers reach state semifinals
- High school wrestling - state tournament predictions
- State tournaments set for local wrestlers
- Collinsville leading 5A regional with 13 state qualifiers
- More TDP Sports Blog Headlines