Craig Benson will leave Sallisaw to become Duncan's next head football coach, a source told the Tahlequah Daily Press on Monday.
The move is pending until Duncan's school board meet on Tuesday.
Benson will fill the void left by Jim Holloway, who announced in December that he would not return as Duncan's head coach. Holloway went 54-43 over nine seasons at Duncan.
Benson leaves Sallisaw after spending the last six seasons in Sequoyah County. The Black Diamonds went 51-19 under Benson, including six straight playoff appearances in Class 4A.
In 2013, Sallisaw went 8-3 overall and 6-1 in District 4A-4. The Black Diamonds, led by senior running back and linebacker Cale Wilson, lost to Oologah in the first round of the playoffs. Wilson finished the year with 1,514 yards and 16 touchdowns on the ground and 114 tackles and eight sacks on defense.
Sallisaw won two district titles (2009 and 2011) under Benson, whose best season was in 2009, which ended with a loss to Star Spencer in the 4A semifinals.
At Duncan, Benson will take over a Demons club that went 3-6 in 2013.
Benson was unavailable for comment early Monday afternoon.
- TDP Sports Blog
Class 3A - state tournament qualifiers
Here's how the Class 3A basketball landscape stands with one night of area games left to go
- Recent snow alters spring sports schedule
- Sequoyah-Verdigris: What to watch for in area championships
Men's and women's tournament schedule and scoreboard
- Prep basketball: Schedule and scoreboards
- Tiger posts 3rd-place finish for Sequoyah
- Harding driven by one loss this season
- 5 local wrestlers reach state semifinals
- High school wrestling - state tournament predictions
- State tournaments set for local wrestlers
- More TDP Sports Blog Headlines
- Class 3A - state tournament qualifiers