Editor, Daily Press:
It is beyond me to understand why some people think cemeteries are a dump ground or party place.
Many of my family are buried at Manus Cemetery in the Welling/Briggs area. I went there recently to help clean the cemetery, and was surprised at the amount of trash that was dumped there. We found everything from an old VCR, to dozens of beer bottles and cans. In the past, even an old washer and dryer were dumped there.
Someone had even shot holes in the sign that asked for donations to help maintain the cemetery. Most of these cemeteries are maintained by donations. When donations have to be used to clean up and repair damage done by vandals, there is less that could be used for mowing.
I’m not sure if there is a solution to this problem, but perhaps people could report those who are just hanging out at cemeteries. Perhaps the Cherokee County Sheriff’s Department could patrol these rural cemeteries. People who would disrespect cemeteries are not going to change unless we change them.
Editor, Daily Press:
This Week's Circulars
[mdash] age 48 of Tulsa, OK. Homemaker. Died October 12th in Tulsa. Funeral services October 18th at 2:00pm at Little Rock Baptist Church in Locust Grove. Visitation prior to services at 10:30am. Burial at Little Rock Cemetery.
NAME: Robert Carpenter 52 year old Account Manager of Arkansas transitioned on October 7, 2021. Funeral services 10:00 AM, Saturday October 16, 2021, Green Country Funeral Home. Online condolences may be expressed at tahlequahfuneral.com
Tahlequah - Vernon Clay Buckner 83 year old, NSU maintenance worker transitioned October 11, 2021. Graveside service 1:30 pm, Tuesday October 19, 2021, Fort Gibson National Cemetery. Online condolences may be expressed at tahlequahfuneral.com
[mdash] 75, Homemaker, passed Saturday, 10/09/2021.Visitation: 5PM-7PM Tuesday, 10/12/2021 at Funeral Home. Services: 11AM Thursday, 10/14/2021 Greenleaf Cemetery, Tahlequah. Clifford D Garrett Family Funeral Home, Fort Gibson. Online condolences clifforddgarrettfamilyfh.com
- UPDATE: Cherokee Nation doctor charged with murder; vigil for victim slated
- Man killed in stolen vehicle after police pursuit
- Alleged killer had history of domestic violence
- Severe weather growing threat in Oklahoma
- TPS patrons call for board member resignation
- FOR MORIA, WITH LOVE: Candlelight vigil at Norris Park honors nurse who was murdered this week
- With investment from governor, Adair County business to create jobs, expand operations
- POLICE BEAT 10-15-21: Man found naked in laundromat
- SQUEEZE PLAY: Notorious bar on land now part of Norris Park remembered for peace, love, beer, raids – and maybe 'the mob'
- Accused auto thief picked up in Colcord