Editor, Daily Press:
It is beyond me to understand why some people think cemeteries are a dump ground or party place.
Many of my family are buried at Manus Cemetery in the Welling/Briggs area. I went there recently to help clean the cemetery, and was surprised at the amount of trash that was dumped there. We found everything from an old VCR, to dozens of beer bottles and cans. In the past, even an old washer and dryer were dumped there.
Someone had even shot holes in the sign that asked for donations to help maintain the cemetery. Most of these cemeteries are maintained by donations. When donations have to be used to clean up and repair damage done by vandals, there is less that could be used for mowing.
I’m not sure if there is a solution to this problem, but perhaps people could report those who are just hanging out at cemeteries. Perhaps the Cherokee County Sheriff’s Department could patrol these rural cemeteries. People who would disrespect cemeteries are not going to change unless we change them.
Editor, Daily Press:
This Week's Circulars
[mdash] age 45 of Leach, OK. Carpenter. Died November 24th in Rose, OK. Services December 6th at 2:00pm at Kansas High School Gymnasium. Burial at Long Prairie Cemetery. Visitation December 3rd from 2:00pm until 6:00pm at Reed-Culver.
[mdash] age 81 of Tahlequah, OK. Sales. Died Tuesday, November 30th, 2021 in Tahlequah, OK. Memorial service Saturday, December 4th, 2021 at 2:00pm at Reed-Culver Funeral Home.
[mdash] age 70 of Tahlequah, OK. Iron Worker. Died November 23rd in Tahlequah, OK. Services December 7th at 2:00pm at Elm Tree Baptist Church. Burial at Keener Cemetery. Visitation December 6th from 2:00pm until 6:00pm at Reed-Culver.
[mdash] age 65 of Tahlequah, OK. Homemaker. Died November 27th. Funeral services December 3rd at 2:00pm at Little Rock Baptist Church in Locust Grove. Burial at Little Rock Cemetery. Wake services December 2nd from 6:00pm until 8:00pm.
- Sheriff seeking help in identifying body found dumped
- Sheriff's office identifies man whose body was dumped
- Adair Co. man arrested for killing infirm father
- POLICE BEAT 11-30-21: Clerk's office staffer to cops: You're 'messing up'
- CRIME REWIND: Killer's pawning of items got him caught
- Jill Biden to visit Cherokee immersion school in Tahlequah Friday
- POLICE BEAT 12-1-21: Intoxicated woman picked up while walking to Muskogee
- SHERIFF'S BEAT 11-30-21: Deputies catch several with heroin, meth
- Superintendents in area respond to P-EBT card error
- Oklahoma man jailed after football watch party turns deadly
Sorry, there are no recent results for popular images.