SPRINGFIELD, Mo. — The No. 37-ranked Northeastern State women’s tennis team will meet No. 35 Southwest Baptist at 11 a.m. April 21 in the finals of the 2013 MIAA Women’s Tennis Championship.
The second-seeded RiverHawks (22-2) defeated No. 3 seed Central Oklahoma (16-3) 5-1 in the semifinals Saturday afternoon at the Cooper Tennis Complex. The Bearcats (20-1), the tournament’s No. 1 overall seed, cruised to a 6-0 triumph over No. 4 seed Northwest Missouri State.
Northeastern State picked up a quick three points by sweeping the doubles matches.
The junior duo of Jeanne Mallem and Houda Bellamine kicked off proceedings with an 8-2 triumph over Petra Pesic and Alina Gorina at the second flight.
Senior Ivana Belejova and freshman Kristina Savchenkov, the No. 19-ranked doubles team in the nation, defeated Antonella Rossini and Rose Cabato 8-5 on the top doubles court.
Junior Martina Bruzikova and sophomore Barbora Jirickova capped doubles play on the third court with an 8-5 win over Kristin Richardson and Laura Klingert.
NSU got its fourth point of the match on the second singles court, where Savchenkov defeated Pesic 6-4, 6-3.
The lone point for the Bronchos came at No. 1 singles, where Rossini got past Belejova 6-3, 6-2.
Moments after UCO got on the board, the match was halted when Bellamine clinched the team victory on the fourth court. She topped Cabato 6-4, 6-2.
The other three singles matches went unfinished.
The women’s tennis program will be the second team from Northeastern State to compete in a championship match in the school’s inaugural season in the MIAA. Men’s soccer also competed for a conference title in the fall.
Cooper Tennis Complex at Springfield, Mo.
#37 Northeastern State 5, #39 Central Oklahoma 1
1. Antonella Rossini (UCO) def. Ivana Belejova (NSU) 6-3, 6-2
2. Kristina Savchenkov (NSU) def. Petra Pesic (UCO) 6-4, 6-3
3. Martina Bruzikova (NSU) vs. Alina Gorina (UCO) 4-6, 2-3, unfinished
4. Houda Bellamine (NSU) def. Rose Cabato (UCO) 6-4, 6-2
5. Jeanne Mallem (NSU) vs. Laura Klingert (UCO) 6-3, 4-3, unfinished
6. Barbora Jirickova (NSU) vs. Kristin Richardson (UCO) 7-5, 2-0, unfinished
1. #19 Ivana Belejova/Kristina Savchenkov (NSU) def. Antonella Rossini/Rose Cabato (UCO) 8-5
2. Houda Bellamine/Jeanne Mallem (NSU) def. Petra Pesic/Alina Gorina (UCO) 8-2
3. Martina Bruzikova/Barbora Jirickova (NSU) def. Kristin Richardson/Laura Klingert (UCO) 8-5